Piquant Recipe : Malai ki Kheer
Malai ki kheer is a delicious recipe that not only solves your craving for the sweet taste buds but also spreads the moreish taste. Made up of half ice cream and half milk instead of condensed milk and is a delectable Indian dessert sprinkled with cashew nuts.
Ingredients for making Malai ki Kheer :
- 4 cups milk + 2 tbsp for soaking cashews
- 2 cups heavy cream ( you may use home-made Malayi as well )
- ½ cup vermicelli
- ½ cup Sago pearls
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp strawberry Essence, or any other essence
- 1 tbsp ghee – to roast vermicelli
- ½ cup cashews
Pre-Preparation: Soak Sago pearls for 4-5 hours in warm water, drain well and keep aside before starting with the cooking. You may wish to keep it soaked overnight depending on the quality of the pearls and the temperature in your region for delicious kheer.
- Heat ghee in a pan and roast vermicelli on low flame for about 4-5 minutes, it should just turn light brown and nothing more. Keep stirring it to avoid burning, keep aside once done.
- Soak cashews in 2 tbsp milk for 1 hour and then grind it to a fine paste. Keep aside.
- Now heat milk in a big pan and bring it to the boil, add cream and sugar and simmer it just till sugar dissolves. This will take another 3-4 minutes.
- Now add cashew paste, roasted vermicelli and Sago pearl to it and cook on a low-medium flame till it swells up and get thick. This will take around 10-12 minutes.
- Just check the softness of both Sago and vermicelli and if its cooked, add the essence of your choice turn off the flame. If you cook any further, this will get very thick and you may have to add more milk to it.
- Serve hot or chilled, depending on your choice. It tastes delish in both forms.
- You may replace some of the milk with water, if it gets too thick
- You can also add flavours if you wish to , to make it more pleasant.
- You may add more nuts to it.
Enjoy your hard workin rest and have Malai ki Kheer.